Monday, May 25, 2009

America the Beautiful

Memorial Day

I cannot let a day like this go by with out thinking of the men and women who gave what Lincoln called the “last full measure of devotion”. I think of the battles we fought and the wars that were waged. It shapes us as a nation and brings together a national bond no matter what our political views are.

I also think of the blood that was spilled for our freedom. I pause to stop and take in the comfort I have knowing my country is protected. I stare at the flag and notice the red thread of sacrifice that was weaved into our fabric. I think of Frances Scott Key and what he wrote

Now it catches the gleam of the mornings' first beam,
In full glory reflected now shines on the stream:
'Tis the star-spangled banner! O long may it wave
O'er the land of the free and the home of the brave!

Memorial Day is a day to stop and reflect what our country is and all we can become. I also think of Jesus and the blood he shed to make us free. Today before you go to the picnics and family gatherings stop and give God thanks for all we have.

And thank any soldier you come in contact with.

2 comments:

  1. Thank you, Jay! We can get so caught up in our holiday planning and events that we fail to remember the actual meaning and purpose for the day! My deepest thanks goes out to all who served, and in memory of all who fell! God bless America!

    ReplyDelete