Wednesday, December 2, 2009

That your joy may be full

1 John 1:1: “That which was from the beginning, which we have heard, which we have seen with our eyes, which we have looked upon, and our hands have handled, concerning the Word of life; 2 the life was manifested, and we have seen, and bear witness, and declare to you that eternal life which was with the Father and was manifested to us; 3 that which we have seen and heard we declare to you, that you also may have fellowship with us; and truly our fellowship is with the Father and with His Son Jesus Christ. 4 And these things we write to you that your joy may be full.”

There are a few people in my life that I trust. These people are ones that I would trust my life with. If they told me something I can believe them as telling me the truth with no regrets or doubts. They would also say the same thing about me. One of those people is my wife of 15 years. There is no lie in our conversation. I would and have put my life in her hands at times and she in mine and, we have never doubted. I am human and imperfect, and the same is said for her. However, her word is unimpeachable. John was writing to his friends and fellow believers to make sure that the truths they had learned were true and from a reputable source. John starts off this letter by emphasizing the things that were true and why his testimony was to be believed and followed.

John begins by stating some things he had seen from the beginning. He was with Jesus from the start of His ministry. He heard, seen, touched, and believed. He was to be trusted because he was there when Jesus did and said these things. His audience knew who John was and knew what kind of life he lived before this world. He was one person that they could trust because he was one of the original apostles. He wrote, “I know these things are true because I was there and I saw the lame walk, the blind see, and the dead raised.”

The reason John mentions these facts is because he wants his audience to know that they too can have a fellowship with Jesus. “So that your Joy may be filled”. The Joy that John is speaking of is an outward manifestation of an inward change that has taken place only because of Jesus. Now we can have an exceeding delight and gladness because of God’s presence in our life. John was telling his audience that they could trust him because of what has happen in his life. He has seen and tasted that God is good.

John was one that had been there. He said that his life (and others) bear witness, and declares to you the eternal life which was with the Father and was manifested to us. Is your joy full? The word in the original language means crammed full. Does that explain your life? If not, maybe you should reexamine your life.

Tomorrows Readings:
Old Testament: Daniel 1-2 New Testament I John 2

No comments:

Post a Comment