Thursday, December 3, 2009

Do you know Him?

1 John 2:3-6: “Now by this we know that we know Him, if we keep His commandments. 4 He who says, "I know Him," and does not keep His commandments, is a liar, and the truth is not in him. 5 But whoever keeps His word, truly the love of God is perfected in him. By this we know that we are in Him. 6 He who says he abides in Him ought himself also to walk just as He walked.”

What is the defining characteristic of a Christian? What is it that distinguishes a true follower of Christ from a person that just calls themselves “Christian”? The bible clearly says that it is through a persons fruits that one can tell if their faith is genuine. An apple tree produces apples, and an orange tree produces oranges. For the Christian that Fruit is our obedience to God’s word. God’s word contains all the instruction that we as Christ-followers need to walk this wonderful journey of Faith. We are called to live a life of holiness (not to be confused with a holier than thou attitude), that leads us to be more Christ-like.

John says the true Christ-follower will keep God’s commandments. We are driven and motivated to live the vows we took before God, when we promised our lives to Him. When we surrender, we are surrendering our entire life to Him. We are stating to Him and to the world that we trust Him and His word and are fully handing over our rights to our own lives and our own will to His leading and guidance. The whole reason that we surrendered in the first place was that we recognized we could not survive this life and this world with out His grace.

If I am a Christian, I want to become more like Christ; I do that by following God’s commands, why? I do these things because I love Him, and I do those things to show my love, also because He told me to through His word. In addition to that, I want to let the world know I am His. Finally, there are times when I need reassurance. Because of the enemy we have doubt that can sneak in, and so I need that assurance. John says, “By this we know that we are in Him”.


Tomorrows Readings:
Old Testament: Daniel 3-4 New Testament I John 3

No comments:

Post a Comment