Tuesday, November 3, 2009

Reconcile with them

Philemon 1:10-13: “I appeal to you for my son Onesimus, whom I have begotten while in my chains, 11 who once was unprofitable to you, but now is profitable to you and to me. 12 I am sending him back. You therefore receive him, that is, my own heart, 13 whom I wished to keep with me, that on your behalf he might minister to me in my chains for the gospel.”

There are times in our lives when people do us wrong. Paul was writing to Philemon about a one-time slave who stole from him and fled. While apart from Philemon, Onesimus became a Christ-follower, and desired to return to his master, also a Christ-follower. Paul became good friends with both men and wanted to see these two reconcile and be joined again in Christian love.

Paul was appealing to Philemon to accept his brother in Christ back into fellowship and love. This small letter is a powerful example of the power that is in the Love of God. Paul knew the message of the Gospel and how it is a reconciliation of Man and God. Paul knew that if God made a way for us to have a relationship with Him, that we should also display that message of reunion and love in our own lives. Therefore, when two Christ-followers needed to reconcile Paul knew he had to step in and help these two come together.

We as Christ-followers are called to reconcile our differences in order to live at peace with God. In fact, the Bible says that if we have an offense with our brother, we are to go to him and tell him, or if we have offended someone, we need to go and ask for forgiveness. Matthew chapter 18 verses 15-20 says if you go to that person and you win that brother or sister back, then you have done an awesome thing. If you go to them and they reject you, then so be it. You have done what Jesus asked you to do.

Reconciliation is God’s business. He has reconciled us to Him, and He wants us to do the same. Reach out to that person you have not spoken with in awhile, reconcile with them, and fulfill God’s grace and mercy in your life.

Tomorrows Readings:
Old Testament: Jer. 38-39 New Testament Hebrews 1

No comments:

Post a Comment