Friday, November 6, 2009

Our confession

Hebrews3:1-6: “Therefore, holy brethren, partakers of the heavenly calling, consider the Apostle and High Priest of our confession, Christ Jesus, 2 who was faithful to Him who appointed Him, as Moses also was faithful in all His house.3 For this One has been counted worthy of more glory than Moses, inasmuch as He who built the house has more honor than the house.”

We as followers of Christ are holy brothers and sisters in this wonderful family of God. We, as the author writes, are partakers of the heavenly calling. That calling was the call of Christ and accepting into our lives the wonderful promises of God. We have surrendered our lives and our will to God, told Him that we trust Him, and with faith made a conscience decision to follow the teachings of Jesus Christ. The author mentioned the greatness of Moses and the great and mighty things God did through Moses, yet even through his greatness, Jesus is greater.

God’s plan of salvation would not come through a sinful man, but only through a sinless man. The bible uses the image of a spotless lamb that would be slain for the sins of the world. The author wanted to contrast the comfort that the Jews placed in Moses. The author says, “Yes, Moses was great, However, Jesus is Greater”, and only through God’s chosen would salvation come. Jesus now becomes the High Priest of our confession. He is the only acceptable one to hear our sins and plead our case before God the Father.

As our high priest Jesus becomes more then just our salvation, He becomes our advocate before the throne of grace. When I mess up (which I do daily) I know that Jesus Himself is pleading before the Father for me. That is an awesome thought. Jesus is my defense attorney that is standing in between God and me in the court of eternity. When God the righteous and fair judge says, “why shouldn’t I sentence this man?” Jesus says, “Because I shed my blood for him, and he has asked me to save him.” God replies, “Then I find him innocent, court adjourned.” Innocent is different then “not guilty”. Innocent is purity. Because of the blood of Jesus I am as white as snow. Yes even with my past I can be seen as clean and pure, and so can you. It is a comforting thought to know that I can be clean in such a dirty world.

Tomorrows Readings:
Old Testament: Jer. 46-47 New Testament Hebrews 4

No comments:

Post a Comment