Monday, November 9, 2009

Growing up is hard to do

Hebrews 6:1-3: ‘Therefore, leaving the discussion of the elementary principles of Christ, let us go on to perfection, not laying again the foundation of repentance from dead works and of faith toward God, 2 of the doctrine of baptisms, of laying on of hands, of resurrection of the dead, and of eternal judgment. 3 And this we will do if God permits.”

The author of Hebrews desired his audience to move past the basics of the faith and take steps toward maturity and to grow deeper with Jesus. The basics of the faith are just the starting point in which we begin the wonderful journey of faith. In order for us to start a relationship with Jesus we need to know about repentance and faith toward God. Believer’s baptism is also necessary because it demonstrates our obedience to the command of Jesus, along with the other doctrine mentioned.
The author is pleading with his audience to start on a path of growth and discipleship. The author writes, “let us go on to perfection”, not forgetting these basics, but rather moving on to deeper truths. Staying where one is, essentially a failure to grow, is not the optimal status. We as Christ-followers need to be growing and maturing into the people God wants us to be.

Accepting God’s gift through the blood of Christ is great and awesome. Walking down an aisle at church as a public display of a private faith is a wonderful event. However, we are not called to stay there. We are to grow and mature so that one day we can help out someone else on this journey. We are to mature enough so that we too may make disciples of Jesus in the life of others. Being a disciple of Jesus means that I am engaged in a daily process of growing and maturing. That is why I read my bible and pray everyday. It is a daily concerted effort that takes time and discipline to complete. However, I have spiritual goals and standards that I have purposed in my heart. If I want to meet those goals I need to be willing to do the hard things to reach those goals.

I want to grow and mature in Jesus. I want to be a Christ-follower. Jesus said that, "If anyone desires to come after Me, let him deny himself, and take up his cross daily, and follow Me.” It takes effort, discipline, and intensity to be a follower of Christ. I want to do the hard things that make me an effective servant for Jesus. I want my life to be a rebellion to the unspiritual, unchristian, and Godless world that we live in. How about you, are you willing to do hard things to make a difference in this world?

Tomorrows Readings:
Old Testament: Lam 1-2 New Testament Hebrews 7

No comments:

Post a Comment