Saturday, August 8, 2009

Are you truly free?

Romans 6:1-2: “What shall we say then? Shall we continue in sin, that grace may abound? 2 God forbid. How shall we, that are dead to sin, live any longer therein?”

We as Christ-followers have been granted an awesome privilege. The sins that we were once bound to us, as chains in bondage, are now broken free. We have been emancipated from the oppression that we lived in. I am now free in Christ. Free to do what now, you may ask? Free to sin? Paul said, “God forbid!” We are not free to sin we are free from sin. Paul asks the question, “How shall we that are dead to sin, live any longer therein?”

Now that I am a Christ-follower I have the ability not to sin and to not live a sinful life. Does that mean I will never want to sin, or that I will never sin again? No, it does not. However, the scripture says that I will behave differently now toward sin. I will see the world with different eyes. I will not want to sin, and I will want to start living a holy life. “Therefore if any man be in Christ, he is a new creature: old things are passed away; behold, all things are become new” (2 Cor 5:17). I will strive with all my passion, strength and intensity not to sin. I now want to please God.

You see, before I was a Christ-follower I was affiliated with sin and apart from God. The things of God were strange to me and to my lifestyle. I would commit more sins to rebel against God. However, when I became a Christ-follower that changed. I now became affiliated with God, because of the blood that was shed for me. Now the things of sin are strange to me and to my new lifestyle. I do more of the things of God and now rebel against sin.
Sin is a trap; a snare that is used by the devil to ambush and catch you. Why does the devil want to ambush you? It is because you are vulnerable. Satan wants to use sin to discredit you, and to bankrupt your spirit. If you are living in sin, then you are trapped in a snare. Remember snares are used for one purpose. “Be sober, be vigilant; because your adversary the devil, as a roaring lion, walketh about, seeking whom he may devour:” 1 Peter 5:8


Digging Deeper - Rom 6:15-23; 1 John 1:5-2:6

No comments:

Post a Comment