Wednesday, May 26, 2010

The good shepherd

John 10:16: "And other sheep I have which are not of this fold; them also I must bring, and they will hear My voice; and there will be one flock and one shepherd. 17 "Therefore My Father loves Me, because I lay down My life that I may take it again. 18 "No one takes it from Me, but I lay it down of Myself. I have power to lay it down, and I have power to take it again. This command I have received from My Father."
As Jesus walked this earth He became the Shepherd of His people. The children of Israel were leaderless, or at least did not have “good” shepherds. Those who were given charge over them were so concerned about their outward appearance and perception that they failed to lead their people. Instead they made rules that no one could follow. They enjoyed judging the people who they were suppose to lead. Jesus said a good shepherd would die for his flock. These Pharisees would never do that, they thought the people should serve them.

As I read this scripture I find it hard not to see the parallel between what Jesus says about willingly laying ones life down for the sake of others and this great country of ours. So many man and women have given what Lincoln called the last “full measure of devotion”. Scores of people lay there life down so that we can enjoy the freedom we have today. This selfless act on the part of those men and women who painted the red stripes on our flag is a vivid reminder that they did it for a greater good. They are this country’s “good shepherds”. That is why we say so proudly that this is “One Nation Under God.” It is by His providence that we are able to enjoy the freedoms that we do. This Memorial day remember the men and women who have “laid there lives down” on the threshold of freedom. Remember even more the blood that Jesus shed on a cross for you and for me.

Tomorrows Readings:
Old Testament: 1 Chronicles 20-22 New Testament John 10:22-42

No comments:

Post a Comment