Monday, November 16, 2009

Faith of mere men and women

Hebrews 11:32-35: “And what more shall I say? For the time would fail me to tell of Gideon and Barak and Samson and Jephthah, also of David and Samuel and the prophets: 33 who through faith subdued kingdoms, worked righteousness, obtained promises, stopped the mouths of lions, 34 quenched the violence of fire, escaped the edge of the sword, out of weakness were made strong, became valiant in battle, turned to flight the armies of the aliens.35 Women received their dead raised to life again. And others were tortured, not accepting deliverance, that they might obtain a better resurrection.”

Our belief system is a system of faith. You cannot be a Christ-follower without faith. Faith is the means by which someone gives their lives over to the Lord. By faith we surrender our own will to God’s will, and tell Him that we no longer matter, it is Jesus only. This is likened unto a knight giving his life over to the King’s service. That knight will take a vow before his King, committing his life, service, and blood to the Kings alone. We have a King to serve; ours is the King of Kings and the Lord of Lords.

As a Christ-follower we vow to live a “Christian” life. We promise and commit to living a life that honors God. Now I am still a sinner and I am not perfect, however I strive with all my strength to honor God with my life. 1 Corinthians 6:20 says, “For you were bought at a price; therefore glorify God in your body and in your spirit, which are God's.” Jesus shed his blood to give me the opportunity to receive eternal life. Now when I accept that, I commit to living my life the way God wants me too. I do this by faith. Those sins that once were addictions are now conquerable. Those obsessions do not hold the power they once did. By faith, I can say “No! I will not be controlled by that any longer”

Faith is simple trust in God. I place my trust in Him that He will lead, guide, guard, and direct my steps. I also trust that when I sin, God will not stand there and belittle me and scorn me, and say, “you’re pathetic, weak, and useless” (that’s what the devil does). No, God puts His loving arms around me and raises me up, and then He strengthens my legs. Just as these great men and women of faith did awesome things by the power of God, you can and will be used in an awesome way if you are willing to operate by faith.

Tomorrows Readings:
Old Testament: Ezek. 16 New Testament Hebrews 12

No comments:

Post a Comment