Thursday, October 1, 2009

You are special

Ephesians 3:16-20: “that He would grant you, according to the riches of His glory, to be strengthened with might through His Spirit in the inner man, 17 that Christ may dwell in your hearts through faith; that you, being rooted and grounded in love, 18 may be able to comprehend with all the saints what is the width and length and depth and height;19 to know the love of Christ which passes knowledge; that you may be filled with all the fullness of God. 20 Now to Him who is able to do exceedingly abundantly above all that we ask or think, according to the power that works in us, 21 to Him be glory in the church by Christ Jesus to all generations, forever and ever. Amen.”

Paul continues to speak to the church at Ephesus about the goodness of God and the immeasurable riches for the Christ-follower who is operating and walking in the Holy Spirit. Paul, in his petition mentions things that he has asked of God for the believer at Ephesus. First, he writes, “that He would grant you, according to the riches of His glory, to be strengthened with might through His Spirit in the inner man,” Paul wants the Ephesians to be strengthened. We also as Christ-followers need God’s strength. For one reason we who are doing God’s will are vulnerable to spiritual attacks. We need God’s strength to be able to stand against these attacks. These attacks are meant to move us off track and to change our mindset and life priorities. If we are weak we open ourselves up to a whole variety of things that mess with our witness. We can easily become depressed, hurt, anxious, and out of control. We, as well as the Ephesians, also need God’s strength to battle any spiritual attacks.

Second, Paul writes, “that Christ may dwell in your hearts through faith; that you, being rooted and grounded in love”. The word dwell is a special word. It means to take up residence. Knowing that Christ has taken up residence within us makes our walk more special. When I am tempted by sin or struggling with a pain in my spirit I know Christ is there, not to punish or spank me, but rather to strengthen and comfort me, helping me get through the issue.

Third, Paul writes, “that you may be filled with all the fullness of God.” I am fully comforted in the fact that God wants to fill me with His fullness. What does that mean to us? If I have His fullness, I will not need anything else to fulfill my life. I will not depend on money, sex, alcohol, or success to fulfill me as a person as I once did. God filled an emptiness I had in my heart that I had for a long time. Paul wanted the church at Ephesus to be totally depended upon God for their contentment.

No comments:

Post a Comment