Monday, October 12, 2009

Praying also for us

Colossians 4:3-6 3: “meanwhile praying also for us, that God would open to us a door for the word, to speak the mystery of Christ, for which I am also in chains, 4 that I may make it manifest, as I ought to speak. 5 Walk in wisdom toward those who are outside, redeeming the time. 6 Let your speech always be with grace, seasoned with salt, that you may know how you ought to answer each one.”

As Paul closes this letter to the church at Colosse, he asks them to do a couple of things. First Paul is asking them to pray for his work in the ministry. The power of prayer was real to Paul. Not only did he pray he needed others to pray for him and his work. Prayer is a powerful force that is sometimes taken for granted. Praying is our chance as Christ-followers to approach a Holy and Just God and give him our requests, thanksgivings, and our prayers for others.

Prayer is a communication between God and us. It is our way to develop the relationship that we have with Jesus. All relationships are built upon communication. As a husband who has been married for 15 years I know one of the most important things needed to keep a healthy and harmonious relationship growing is communication. I share with my wife everyday those things that concern me: my hurts, my joys, my struggles, and my doubts. She does the same, and as a result we come together and grow as a couple.

This is the same concept that we share with our God. This relationship is depending on a communication link between a Holy God and a person who has given their live to Jesus and wants to live for God. I, as a Christian need to talk to my God; I share my hurts, my pains, my joys, my praises, my doubts, my fears, and I share my love for my king. This relationship cannot be a one-sided effort. God is always faithful and always seeking me out. However, I need to be seeking and intensely pursuing my God so this relationship will continue to blossom and grow. Prayer was an important aspect in Paul’s life, he wanted people to be praying for him, and he would pray always for them. For Paul, his ministry and his walk was dependent upon prayer. We also have a dependence on prayer. We need it as much as Paul did, and we need to pray for others and use prayer as one of our ministries.

Tomorrows Readings:
Old Testament: Isaiah 50-52 New Testament I Thess. 1

No comments:

Post a Comment