Tuesday, September 22, 2009

Time for a check-up

II Cor 13:5-6: “Examine yourselves as to whether you are in the faith. Test yourselves. Do you not know yourselves that Jesus Christ is in you? unless indeed you are disqualified. 6 But I trust that you will know that we are not disqualified.”

Consider it a good thing to examine yourself from time to time. We test ourselves to determine whether we are operating with the spirit of God, or if we are operating in the flesh. The main reason we examine ourselves is to see if we are even a Christ-follower. If I am a Christ-follower then I need to see if I am walking in God’s spirit.

Traditionally we are asked to examine ourselves often. For example, in the book of I Corinthians Paul tell those who partake of the Lord’s Supper or communion to examine themselves, “Therefore whoever eats this bread or drinks this cup of the Lord in an unworthy manner will be guilty of the body and blood of the Lord. 28 But let a man examine himself, and so let him eat of the bread and drink of the cup.” I Cor. 11:27-28. So examining ourselves is a natural and reasonable act for the Christ-follower to do.

If I don’t truly and honestly inspect and study my behaviors and attitudes, how will I grow as a person? If I am honest with myself I will take the time to find those areas that need improvement, and I would seek God’s word and His direction to improve those areas where I am lacking. I am not perfect. However, I try daily to improve my relationship with Jesus. I want to passionately pursue God with the strongest of intensity. I know that God is pursuing me with that strong passion; even in my sin He still pursues me and desires a passionate relationship with me.

I need to daily check myself to make sure that my passion has not dwindled. For if it has I know that I need to make it right again. Paul implores the people of Corinth to test themselves. God likes it when we lean not on our own understanding. Stepping out on faith according to His word is one way to test ourselves. The more faith we exert the more we depend upon Him and not ourselves. Are you stepping out on faith depending on the Power and promises of God? Are you daily, passionately pursuing Jesus? Do you know He is pursuing you today? Examine yourself to see if you are in the faith. If you are not, well then quickly make it right.

Application
- Honestly and truthfully examine yourself to see if you are walking in God's spirit.

Challenge
- When you examine yourself and realize that you are out of fellowship with God, make sure you get back on track with your relationship with Him. A passionate relationship with Jesus brings about the promised abundant joy!

Tomorrows Readings:
Old Testament: Song of Solomon 6-8 New Testament Gal 1

No comments:

Post a Comment