Friday, September 11, 2009

A living Resume

II Cor 3:2-5: “But the only letter of recommendation we need is you yourselves! Your lives are a letter written in our hearts, and everyone can read it and recognize our good work among you.3 Clearly, you are a letter from Christ prepared by us. It is written not with pen and ink, but with the Spirit of the living God. It is carved not on stone, but on human hearts.4 We are confident of all this because of our great trust in God through Christ. 5 It is not that we think we can do anything of lasting value by ourselves. Our only power and success come from God.”

Resumes are good and have their purpose in this world. Credentials, platitudes, and recommendations all have their place in this world. However, for the Christ-follower our “resume” is the fruit we produce. The fruit that is produced from the Christ-follower is seen in people. People who we disciple, love, and share Jesus with. Does your life reflect the relationship you have with Jesus? I am sure it does. If you have a healthy, passionate, exciting, relationship with Jesus then your life will display that fruit. If your relationship is old, unexciting, and just plain boring, then your fruit will display those characteristics in your walk. In addition, if your relationship is nonexistent, then your walk will also reflect that.

Paul was telling the Corinthian church that there was no need to bring credentials to them; the Corinthians were the credentials themselves. Their lives reflected the fruit that was in Paul and was a testimony to God’s presence in his life. If you want to know about me ask the people who are closest to me. Ask my wife about my devotional life and what kind of husband I am. Ask my friends and co-workers if they see Jesus in my life, and ask my church members about who I am. My fruit is in other’s lives. Your fruit is seen in other’s lives also, your spouses, your kids, your friends, and neighbors can and do tell the story of your life. What story are they telling? When I leave this earth I want to leave a legacy. I hope that I have touched every single life that came in contact with me in a positive way. My goal is to leave people better then I found them. The life I live is my spiritual resume.

Application – Let your life show your fruit to the world
Challenge – Leave people better then you found them

No comments:

Post a Comment