Thursday, August 13, 2009

Present your bodies a living sacrifice

Romans 12:1: “I beseech you therefore, brethren, by the mercies of God, that you present your bodies a living sacrifice, holy, acceptable to God, which is your reasonable service. 2 And do not be conformed to this world, but be transformed by the renewing of your mind, that you may prove what is that good and acceptable and perfect will of God.”
Paul calls the people of Rome to now put into practice the doctrine that he just taught. Paul presented the gospel, and now he changes tracks and gives his audience ways to put their faith into action. Paul, in a very practical way says, “now that I have taught you what to do with this gospel message, it is time to live it”. Paul calls the Christ-followers of Rome to offer their bodies as “living sacrifices” for God. Paul is saying, now that you have a changed heart, your walk should change also.
What does it mean to be a living sacrifice? Our bodies are outward expressions of who we are. We are either honoring God with our bodies or we are not. Paul said, “present your bodies a living sacrifice, holy, acceptable to God, which is your reasonable service”. Since God gave you that great gift of salvation, the reasonable thing to do is to serve Him with our bodies. Becoming the “hands and feet” of God. This is not an offering, it is worship. We now worship God through the lifestyle we live and the things we do. This is the least we can do for God who has loved us so much.
This act of worship correlates to me not conforming to this world anymore. This world that says, “It’s ok to act anyway I want to, or engage in the behavior that this world sanctions.” However, we are called to live with a higher purpose. I am on a journey, and I am not going to let anything distract me from fulfilling my purpose. I have a higher calling, and I am not going to let people tell me I am wasting my time, or that my faith is a crutch. I am going to be a living; breathing, walking testimony as to what my God has done, and is doing everyday.
Application – We are to use our whole self to glorify God.
Challenge - Live your life in such a way that glorifies God, and do not be conformed to this world, but be transformed by the renewing of your mind.

Tomorrows Readings:
Old Testament: psalm 99-102 New Testament Romans 13

No comments:

Post a Comment