Monday, August 17, 2009

Pray for me

Romans 15:30: “Now I beseech you, brethren, for the Lord Jesus Christ's sake, and for the love of the Spirit, that ye strive together with me in your prayers to God for me;”

As Paul is wrapping up this letter to his friends in Rome he is asking them to pray for him. He was telling the believers in Rome that they too, can join the struggle and spiritual battle that he was fighting, by praying for him. Paul says, “I beseech you”, or I beg you to pray. Paul physically and spiritually needed prayers from his faithful friends. He says Pray for me first, for the Lord Jesus’ sake, and second, because they love him.

Paul was setting on a journey to Jerusalem and knew that the journey was a perilous one. He knew the risks associated with traveling to Jerusalem, and he wanted protection as he went there. Paul knew the power of prayer and the need for it. Paul wrote earlier in the book of Romans, “First, I thank my God through Jesus Christ for you all, that your faith is spoken of throughout the whole world. 9 For God is my witness, whom I serve with my spirit in the gospel of his Son, that without ceasing I make mention of you always in my prayers;” 1:8-9. For Paul, prayer was a serious business. Just as he prayed for the saints, he too needed prayers from the saints
For us today prayer is just as important as it was in Paul’s day. Prayer is a communication between the believer and God almighty. It is the essential component to our relationship with our God. Prayer gives us a direct access to our creator. When we pray we build that relationship. In addition, like any good relationship communication is the key. For the Christ-follower it is also necessary to be in prayer for our brothers and sisters in Christ. It strengthens our relationship with Jesus, with each other and it helps us mature in Christ.

Application – Pray regularly for each other.
Challenge – “Let us therefore come boldly unto the throne of grace that we may obtain mercy, and find grace to help in time of need.” Hebrew 4:16

Tomorrows Readings:
Old Testament: psalm 99-102 New Testament Romans 13

No comments:

Post a Comment